Thursday, June 19, 2008

Waves I


6 " x 6" on hardboard

Made it to MAINE, with an overnight in York
en route staying with roommate Martha from RISD,
and her husband Jay, MFA Ceramics at RISD.

It's been misty and overcast since we arrived, with
some rain here and there as well. Beautiful to take walks
on the beach, but one early morning outing to a private
lobster dock caught me in the rain.
I moved off dock to above with view
looking down on the dories instead,
protected under pineboughs and a small
umbrella rigged to another easel. Even I
felt the occasion was arduous. I was looking
through oak brances at boats, but for a small
canvas it was too busy, and I wiped it out before
returning. How do you like that?
I usually save
ones overburdened, just to see the what not to do,
or appreciate the good spots, or who knows what else
might reveal itself? In this case, the wetness of the
experience overall was not memorable. Oh, I hadn't
brought my slicker, so I just had some cotton layers
on, not so protective of dampness.
So painting the surf on overcast day above nestled next
to large rock cliffs was a pleasure.





$99. + S/H

3 comments:

  1. Very cool. You turned that gray day into a nice painting.
    Those wipe downs make for nice toned canvas' though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Frank, you're right about the TONED canvas from wipedowns! ha~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I enjoy your subtle horizons and variations of blue.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin