Thursday, June 18, 2009

Bluff View



11 x 15.5 inches Oil on masonite


This was done alla prima, and I think I'll do
some tweaking to the sailboat after it dries
Tough to get the detail wet on wet.
I'm not big on touch ups of any kind with plein air.
Evidently the IPAP group claim 10% can be
added in studio and still claim to be plein air.

I don't think PAPA have a ruling. Does anyone know?



My back was sore from mowing, so I decided to sit last
couple of days, not usual for me. I like to be able to
step back regularly and have freer arm motion while standing.



The under painting here was from a
retired nude done in a studio
that I just added an ocean to


She never really worked, and I have
a frame available, a little smaller.
So I cut 2 sides down
and packed her to become another
Maine painting. Recycling!



Sometimes I scumble over previous paintings
and sand down any textures. I sanded this
one, but didn't bother to paint over.
It doesn't seem to get in my way to
be able to see the painting I'm doing,
and sometimes happy accidents occur
with a surprise color coming through.



It's very easy to see how additional work in studio
with better lighting and having had some time
to digest the imagery, can conjure up further
ideas for improvement of the picture.

This is such a big topic, but the short short version
might be, leave plein air 100% done on location,
and use it for larger studio work, where any
changes can happen and are expected.



On the other hand, if you can improve on an area,
why not add them?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Candy,
    Paint outs I have done usually say 80% has to be done outside.. I will occasionally tweak something back in the studio but more often it is totally alla prima for me. When its done, its done.

    Love the nude as underpainting! Looks like that could have been complete at the start, but it is a beautiful finish in the end. Greg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paint outs are fun with the group excitement of expectation. I have a lot more nudes to use as underpainting!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin