Saturday, June 18, 2011

Fishing Boat - #61811


6 x 6 inches Oil on Birch Ply
Another 20 minute study in grey. With the wind changing and the boat heading in a different direction continuously consequently, it's a challenge to get the alignment just right. You can see how this might have come out very different had I painted it from the photograph. You catch prominent factors when working from life, squinting and catching the values more easily. In a photograph, the values have already been flattened out and less color is available to see.

2 comments:

  1. I love the shades that you used for this and the way you interpreted the photo to create the mood you wanted to share. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Katherine...the photo is to show you the viewer, I painted it on location. I don't think I could have ever gotten the finished painting from using a photo. I obviously can see more color and nuances from life, and I think the live information is valuable to give the painting more drama as well. The boat was surely moving directions with the wind I can tell you that~!
    I add the location shots to give comparison to what I was doing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin